Saturday, July 3, 2010

Ooo la la! French Toast for two, monsieur!

French Toast for two, monsieur!
Delicious French-Toasted Waffles

Jimmy chowing down on overstuffed peanut butter'n banana french toast

Jimmy's rating of the banana french toast sandwich


It has been sooo fun cooking all of these recipes, but I had yet to cook a breakfast item...who doesn't love french toast? If you don't, you soon will! French toast is one of my favorite breakfast meals because I used to make french toast with my mom on some Saturday mornings...I can smell it now! I took the Hungry Girl cookbook, and used her innovative, yet easy ideas for changing up french toast.
French Toasted Waffles

Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
PER SERVING: (entire recipe; 2 waffles) 274 calories, 6g fat, 807mg sodium, 41.5 carbs, 3.25g fiber, 6.5g sugars, 16g protein
First, you toast two Eggo Nutri-Grain Low-Fat waffles (I had regular waffles because my husband likes them, so I used those). Then, you mix egg substitute (1/2 cup), cinnamon (1/4 tsp), and vanilla extract (1/2 tsp) in a bowl. and set aside.
Next, you bring a large skillet sprayed with non-stick spray to medium-high heat. Add butter to skillet and allow to coat the bottom of the skillet. Meanwhile, coat the waffles in the egg mixture. Cook the waffles about 4-5 minutes per side, until golden brown (watch how they are cooking, you might not need that long or you might need to adjust the heat).
Top with powdered sugar (d-lish) and serve with syrup :)
Prep Time Rating: Piece of Toast haha :) (that means easy)
D-Lish Factor: 7; it was simple but I thought it really tasted like french toast...my husband however gave it a 4...so you decide!
Overstuffed Peanut Butter'n Banana French Toast
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes

*side note: I decided to cook this in addition to the first recipe because I looked at all of the ingredients, and I had them all in my kitchen...so, why not hit two recipes with one blog post?
PER SERVING: (1 sandwich) 327 calories, 8.5g fat, 700mg sodium, 48.5 carbs, 7.25g fiber, 11g sugars, 18g protein
*most of you are probably looking at the calories, fat, and carbs. Now, I claim to be no nutrition expert, but make sure you are looking at the type of carbs...i.e. the other nutrition facts. This recipe has peanut butter, bananas, and wheat bread...those are all good carbs, in moderation.
You need to combine egg substitute (1/3 cup), 1 tsp. vanilla extract, 1/4 tsp. cinnamon, and a few pinches of sweetener (real or fake). Mix all of these in a bowl, and mix. Transfer to a small plate, and then set it to the side.
In a small bowl, combine cream cheese, peanut butter, 1/4 tsp. vanilla extract, 1/4 tsp. cinnamon, and few more pinches of sweetener. Mix all of these until smooth by stirring with the handle of a fork.
*now, I did not have the cream cheese, so I didn't use it, and thought it turned out pretty good...
Spread the cream cheese-peanut butter mixture onto one slice of bread. Put on half of a sliced up banana, a dash of cinnamon, and then top it with the other slice of bread. Press together to seal (you are making a sandwich).
Bring a skillet with nonstick spray to medium-high heat. Add butter and let it coat the bottom of the skillet. While the skillet is heating up, coat both sides of the sandwich with the egg substitute. You will need to coat the sides of the sandwich as well.
Place the sandwich in the skillet, and cook for 2-4 minutes on each side. Serve with syrup, and ENJOY!

Prep Time Rating: 5 (not difficult, just a lot of steps)
D-Lish Factor: 6.78 (Jimmy ate this, but I did have a bite...it was different, but I liked it! This is probably a dish most kids would like...steer clear adults, unless you're brave)


*PHEW, that's a lot of typing! I will be doing some summer-time recipes in my next few blog postings. ENJOY the 4th of July, and be safe!
Sincerely,
The Hungry Wife















































2 comments:

  1. How's this for crazy coincidence--I tried a new healthy recipe for french toast too this morning! Mine was French Toast with Sauteed Banana in the "The Most Decadent Diet Ever!" cookbook by Devin Alexander.
    I would give it a 7. Chris had to add syrup (I was satisfied with the caramelized bananas). He would give it a 6 (with syrup, ha ha).

    Let me know if you'd like the recipe.

    Keep cookin'! (:
    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought that the peanut-butter stuffed french toast was pretty good, I'd definitely eat it again.

    Why didn't you include the rating of the waffles? They were definitely sub-par :) You are just trying to be too nice haha. I definitely remember taking a "Thumbs-down" picture for that one.

    Keep writing, gorgeous. I enjoy reading it during my down time.

    Love you,
    Jimmy

    ReplyDelete